Pursuant to the Education Law, Section 2013, and by resolution of the Board of Education, voting on the 2021-2022 Budget Proposition, Bus Proposition and election of four Board Members will be held Tuesday, May 18, 2021, between the hours of 12:00 Noon and 9:00 P.M. prevailing time at Newfield Elementary School, Lower Gym, 247 Main Street, Newfield New York at which time the polls will be open to vote by ballot or machine.
There will be two (2) propositions on the 2021-2022 ballot:
SHALL THE BOARD OF EDUCATION OF THE NEWFIELD CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT BE AUTHORIZED TO SPEND $21,779,140 FOR THE PURPOSE OF OPERATING THE SCHOOL DISTRICT FOR THE 2021-2022 SCHOOL YEAR AND TO LEVY THE NECESSARY TAX THEREAFTER?
Adoption of the budget requires a tax levy increase of 4.00% which exceeds the statutory tax levy increase limit of -3.57% for this school fiscal year and therefore exceeds the state tax cap and must be approved by sixty percent of the qualified voters present and voting.
Shall the following resolution be adopted to wit:
RESOLVED THAT THE BOARD OF EDUCATION OF THE NEWFIELD CENTRAL SCHOOL DISTRICT IS HEREBY AUTHORIZED TO UNDERTAKE THE ACQUISITION OF TWO (2) 60-PASSENGER SCHOOL BUSES AT AN ESTIMATED MAXIMUM COST OF $141,000 EACH, AND ONE (1) 30-PASSENGER SCHOOL BUS AT AN ESTIMATED MAXIMUM COST OF $68,000, ALL AT AN ESTIMATED MAXIMUM AGGREGATE COST OF $350,000, LESS TRADE-IN VALUE, IF ANY, AND THAT SUCH COST, OR SO MUCH THEREOF AS MAY BE NECESSARY, SHALL BE RAISED BY THE LEVY OF A TAX TO BE COLLECTED IN ANNUAL INSTALLMENTS; AND, IN ANTICIPATION OF SUCH TAX, DEBT OBLIGATIONS OF THE SCHOOL DISTRICT AS MAY BE NECESSARY NOT TO EXCEED $350,000 SHALL BE ISSUED.
Voting By Absentee Ballot: Please e-mail the District Clerk at email@example.com or call the District Office at 564-9955 ext. 4140 to request an Absentee Ballot be sent to your physical mailing address (this is where you receive postal mail.)
- There will be directions enclosed in the ballot, including how to mail your ballot back. Please make sure all marks are clear, and the voter envelope has all requested information completed.
- There is a postage paid envelope enclosed for return.
- Ballots need to be received by the District Clerk no later than 5pm on May 18, 2021, for your vote to be canvassed. We WILL NOT be going by postmark.
- You can mail the ballot OR you can use the drop box located in the District Office at the Elementary School. The office will be open 8am-4pm all days preceding election day and 8am to 5pm May 18, 2021.
Any absentee ballot received after 5:00 PM on 5/18/21, can not be accepted
QUALIFICATIONS TO VOTE:
To vote in a school district budget vote and board election, you do not need to be a
registered voter. However you must:
- Be a citizen of the United States;
- Be 18 years of age or older;
- Be a resident within the district for a period of 30 days preceding the date of the vote.
Candidate information links below.