TECHNOLOGY UPDATE 3/20/20Hello Newfield Families,
We hope you are all staying safe during this unique experience. We are aware that we have many students here in Newfield who do not have internet access at home and, while there is no single solution to that challenge, we have put together some information and resources that may be helpful.
As mentioned in prior communications, we do have internet access available in the campus parking lot, both near the elementary school in the bus lane (evening only, as busses and delivery vehicles are still in use during the day) and at the top of the parking lot near the MS/HS drop off zone. Additionally, there are plans to install an additional outdoor access point in the parking lot to further extend the accessible area. Both the Newfield Library and Town Hall have open WiFi that can be accessed from outside. In all of these circumstances, please stay in your vehicles as we all continue to practice social distancing during this challenging time.
According to its website, AT&T cellular service is available throughout Newfield. Please keep in mind that data caps will still be enforced, so if you have AT&T cellular service and exceed your monthly allotment, you will be charged based on the terms of your plan.
- AT&T is keeping its public Wi-Fi hotspots open for anyone who needs them.
- They will not terminate service of any wireless, home phone or broadband residential or small business customer due to an inability to pay their bill as a result of the coronavirus pandemic – and they’re waiving late payment fees for those customers.
Spectrum / Charter
- Charter will offer free Spectrum broadband and Wi-Fi access for 60 days to households with K-12 and/or college students who do not already have a Spectrum broadband subscription and at any service level up to 100 Mbps. To enroll call 1-844-488-8395. Installation fees will be waived for new student households. Please note that you must cancel within the 60 day trial or you will be billed.
- Charter will open its Wi-Fi hotspots across our footprint for public use - https://www.spectrum.com/free-wifi-hotspots/new-york/newfield
- Click on this link https://www.spectrum.com/internet and type in your street address in the top right corner
- Contact the Spectrum Sales team at 1-877-906-9121
According to its website, Sprint provides cellular service throughout Newfield.
Additionally, they are:
- Providing Unlimited data for 60 days to customers with metered data plans (effective 3/18)
- Giving 20 GB of free mobile hotspot to customers with hotspot-capable devices (effective 3/18)
- Waiving per-minute toll charges for international long-distance calls from the U.S. to CDC- defined Level 3 countries (effective 3/17)
According to its website, T-Mobile cellular service is available throughout Newfield.
- ALL current T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers who have plans with data will have unlimited smartphone data for the next 60 days (excluding roaming).
- Providing T-Mobile and Metro by T-Mobile customers an additional 20GB of mobile hotspot / tethering service for the next 60 days – coming soon.
- For Lifeline customers, they are working to provide customers extra free data up to 5GB of data per month over the next two months.
Verizon has limited residential internet coverage in the Newfield area.
- Will waive late fees for 60 days from March 16, 2020 to May 16, 2020 and will not terminate service to a customer who's been impacted by the events involving the Coronavirus. If Verizon customers are experiencing a hardship, they should call the Verizon customer service team to discuss their situation and available options.
- Verizon will waive activation fees on new lines of service and upgrade fees starting March 18. This applies to all purchases and service-only activations made through Verizon digital channels, such as verizonwireless.com and the My Verizon app.
Hope this helps.
Newfield Technology & PD Staff
Cathy Griggs, Robert Fisher, Chris Gaspari, Harold Flomerfelt. Matt O'Donnell