Personal Fitness Course
OVERVIEW OF THE COURSE:
This course investigates the value of fitness in daily life, examines methods of assessing personal fitness levels, and develops the ability to plan an individualized fitness program. Emphasis is placed on the personal development of fitness, with a goal to improve levels of fitness during the course. The personal fitness program will incorporate the health related components of physical fitness.
A. Class Cognitive Components
The student should be able to:
- Define the components of fitness.
- Evaluate personal fitness levels on selected tests through norm comparisons.
- Design an appropriate personal fitness program.
- Discuss the training principles that are the foundation of a fitness program.
- Understand the importance of adequate cardiovascular endurance in the maintenance of good health and well-being.
- Discuss the principles of cardiovascular exercise.
- Understand the importance of adequate strength levels in the maintenance of good health and well-being.
- Discuss the principles of muscular strength and muscular endurance development.
- Understand the importance of adequate levels of flexibility in the maintenance of good health and well-being.
- Discuss the factors that contribute to the development of muscular flexibility.
- Define and understand nutrition and describe its relationship to health and well-being.
- Analyze a personal daily food intake, identify areas of deficiencies, and be able to implement specific changes to improve overall nutrition.
- Recognize and discuss the role of lifetime exercise programs as the key to successful weight loss and/or maintenance of ideal personal body weight.
- Understand what and how lifestyle modifications may be needed to reduce the risk of cardiovascular disease, cancer, and other health problems.
- Identify the role that stress has in the maintenance of health and optimal performance.
- Identify ways to deal with common exercise related injuries and ways to adjust an exercise activity for specific conditions or environments.
B. Class Personal Fitness Components:
The student should be able to:
- Determine correct exercise intensity for individual exercise and/or specific exercise programs
- Monitor heart rate during different phases of exercise and determine exercise intensity.
- Identify specific exercises to avoid for safety purposes and practice safe alternatives in a supervised setting.
- Practice selected stretching routines designed to enhance/improve flexibility.
- Participate in a variety of activities: aerobic games, circuit training, jogging, yoga, etc. in order to develop strength, flexibility, and cardiovascular endurance.
- Verify participation in appropriate exercise activity by keeping personal records.
- Develop a warm-up and cool-down routine for personal use.
- Demonstrate the effects of a personal fitness training program by obtaining post-conditioning test results from selected tests.
C. CONTENT OUTLINE:
D. REQUIRED STUDENT TASKS:
- Physical Fitness Status: Guidelines for medical clearance, analysis of present levels of fitness.
- Definition and Value of Physical Fitness Components: Cardiovascular endurance, Muscular strength and endurance, Flexibility, Body Composition.
- Training Principles for all Fitness Components: Specificity, Progressive Overload, FITT, etc.
- Calculation of correct training intensity, selection of fitness activities, etc.
- Common Training Concerns: prevention of injuries, treatment.
1. PERSONAL FITNESS
a. Participate in fitness testing, (pre and post-tests).
b. Develop fitness program for self, setting realistic goals for the specific fitness
c. Participate in set fitness program(s) for a minimum of 6 weeks.
d. Keep accurate records of participation in program.
e. Evaluate the effects of the different fitness programs.
2. DAILY ASSIGNMENTS AND CLASS PARTICIPATION:
a. Participate in daily exercise sessions, which will include a variety of
exercise activities and written assignments/reflections.
b. Analyze and reflect on personal exercise activities.
c. Calculate correct levels of cardiovascular exercise intensity.
d. Develop a warm-up/cool down routine.
- Class assignments and class participation 80% of grade
- Personal Fitness Logs 20% of grade
Your daily grade will be determined by the percentage of points earned out of the 10 total points available. Five points is the maximum allowed for participation, while 3 points is the maximum for skill development and 2 points is the maximum for cognitive development (see attached rubrics).